Suggestions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jonc
    Participant

Hi, as a big fan of NodeCanvas, I’d like to try to help improving it. At the moment I have two suggestions – things that would make life easier, at least for me.

1. As for visual debugging, it would be nice to stay inside a subtree (nested things in general) when play mode starts and ends. Right now you get instantly kicked into the main tree on both occasions. I know, it’s just a double click to open up a nested element, but as the main tree gets bigger it becomes a pain to navigate to the desired spot.

2. I like the visual style of NCs Behaviour Tree, but it would be really helpful and cleaner, if the horizontal connections between siblings would build a single fixed straight line, so when you drag one of the nodes up/down, you would just shrink/lengthen the vertical part of the connection line. May be this could be implemented as a toggle opition. And when you drag a node above its parent this behaviour might also replace the diagonal transforming of the connection.

That’s it for the suggestions so far. 🙂

By the way, I found a visual bug (sorry if this has been mentioned before): When you move a group and let the mouse button go, the nodes inside move in haphazard directions by a slight amount.

jonc
    Participant

Hello, sorry for the double post, I would have edited my initial post but the edit button is gone by now.

Another suggestions would be:

– The ability to replace composites, to shorten the time you would need to reconnect everything from i.e sequencer type A to sequencer type B or even to a selector.

Oh, and just for clarification: Point 2 in my first post is of course targeting the stepped connection mode. 😉

Gavalakis
    Keymaster

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply!
    Thanks a lot. I am glad you like NodeCanvas 🙂

Regarding your first suggestion, unfortunately keeping the view at the nested subtree is kind of impossible, because in runtime, the nested subtree is only instanciated when it first get’s executed. Thus, if I make it that the view sticks to the nested subtree, it would mean that the editor view will be looking at a different graph that the one actualy used in runtime.

Regarding straight lines, I’ve just added an option to draw connections as straight lines from source to tarGet. It will be available in the next version comming soon. I will also take a look at further implementing what you are suggesting here, considering that I’ve understood correct.

I will certainly also take a look at the ability to replace Composite nodes though the right click menu. I like this suggestion 🙂 It’s hopefully easy to implement as well.

Thanks a lot!

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/97q2Rjh

jonc
    Participant

Wow, I’m glad you plan to integrate some of that stuff. Can’t wait to get the next version! I know it all needs time, but I’m just happy to watch this tool become even better. Thank you!

And 2 more things came to my mind, if you don’t care:

1. It’s a pitty with the subtrees and debugging. Would it be possible to add another drop down menu in the options panel inside the canvas where you can select the existing subtrees which leads you right inside it? Like the little menu in Visual Studio where you pick methods and variables, etc. on the fly. This would at least eliminate the need to pan around everytime.

2. I have the feeling that this is also limited by the engine, but I hope not! 🙂 The ‘Preferred Types’ menu needs drag & drop or a search function with instant filtering result to easily add types, because searching big lists of types takes very long with Unity’s built-in way of doing this.

That’s all I can think of right now.

Kind regards.

Gavalakis
    Keymaster

Hey,

You are welcome. The “Replace” composite node will be included in the next version. I’ve just implemented it 🙂
    I really like both of your new suggestions! I will write them down to the TODO list and certainly take a look at implementing both when possible.

Thanks!

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/97q2Rjh

jonc
    Participant

Yay, this is some great news! 😀 Thanks for your efforts!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.